Newly Minted

Newly Minted
Right after I was hooded

Monday, March 30, 2009

Things I should have known about my children...

As further proof that even though you study something you don't know it all, I made yet another shocking discovery today. I was going through still pictures to add to my documentary. I decided I would use some family pictures. As I went through and started to extract pictures of my sons, Matthew 18 and Joshua 16, I realized something huge. Both of my children are in mixed race relationships!!!! Not only are they in mixed race relationships, both of their girlfriends ARE mixed race. One might think I would have been keenly aware of this already...not so much...I guess I am too busy raising them. I wish I had realized this LAST WEEK when I was shooting. I guess that will have to happen in phase two. The neat thing is, other than realizing that I am still human and clearly flawed, there is still so much to learn right inside my own family. I wonder if my sons' choice of girlfriends is in anyway affected by being a) in a mixed race family and b) in a family that talks constantly about race and mixed race. My eldest son's girlfriend is Mexican/Caucasian and my youngest son's girlfriend is Puerto Rican/Caucasian. I cannot figure out if this means that I stink as an academic or just as a mother...

More soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment